Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stress, Stress and More Stress

My life is consumed with craigslist, arranging menus, sending out invitations, figuring out how to store supplies, material and the list goes on.

Dainty Button's grand opening is less than two weeks away. I'll admit. I'm a little on the stressed side. Not only do I have a grand opening to plan and pull off, my team and I are working on the Spring 2011 Line, which I'm getting way carried away with. Seriously. Who can resist those incredible colors? I have two conferences, in which Dainty Button is vending at, back to back. One is two days before the grand opening, the other event is on the east coast the following week after the grand opening, in which I will be enjoying NYC for the first time, ever! I'm so excited! With all of this on my plate, I decided it was best to shut down shop. My etsy shop, that is. I have never done this before. My friends and family have suggested me doing this during vacations, holidays, special occasions, etc. Well, me thinking I'm Super Woman, has never shut my etsy shop down. Until now. I decided it had to be done. I have too much to accomplish in a very short time. So, last night at midnight, I put the "closed" sign on my etsy shop for a week. And I'll admit. It really feels great. I'm able to focus completely and entirely on the preparation of the grand opening, among everything else on my "to do" list. 

My planned very busy week began Sunday night, as my assistant and I did a quick business trip to stock up on supplies, material and some more pretties for the Spring 2011 Line. We made this trip in 24 hours. I was exhausted. The good news. There are bolts of material that is absolutely incredible, just waiting to be made into something fabulous! Even being overcharged at the parking garage, fighting traffic, heavy fog and a lil' driving on the shoulder mishap, it was a productive trip.

I really wish I could snap my fingers and it would all be done. Although, the ladies in my church have approached me, asking if there's anything they can do, as far as food. Talk about amazing people! So, thanks to the wonderful ladies of Abounding Grace, a few of my sweets are taken care of. Alot of the young girls are asking if they can help with painting and setting everything up. Uuuhhh...yes! Church family is truly something to be thankful for. I'm part of the best.

 I love bargain shopping, but honestly, after so many "Hi, is this still available?" emails via craigslist and waiting for their reply, has worn me out. I happened to find the round center shabby chic table I wanted. And the great thing. They came with chairs. Perfect. And a great deal!


A couple things about this set (one of the chairs isn't pictured). I originally thought a lower table was my preference. I went and looked at one and was really questionable about it. I have a 1 year old niece that frequents my studio and my plans of fresh flowers on this table, among other things, was not a pretty sight thinking of her climbing on the table and reaching for that shabby chic chandelier. So, this table is perfect. And I absolutely love the claw legs. I'm still debating on whether this will be roughed up. I'm waiting to see how everything else comes together before I make that decision. The other thing about this set is the chairs. It came with two. I plan on using one for a desk, the other in another area. You can't see the seat covers that well, but trust me, they're hideous! So, I'll be re-upholstering them. I have no idea how to re-upholster chairs. I've been researching it a little but I'm hearing things from so many different people, that's it's sort of confusing me. Not to mention, stressing me out. We'll see how this turns out.

Over the weekend I ran up and down the SF Bay area in a truck, picking up furniture. I found some incredible pieces, all in one weekend and I'm thrilled. It looks as if the studio furniture shopping is complete, minus a couple small things, such as the perfect mirror.





Everybody keeps asking why I'm buying bedroom furniture and not "studio" furniture. Well, for one, I really don't want all of my materials, supplies, etc. hanging out all over the place. That looks cluttery and I'm just not digging that. Plus, I really don't want a big event such as my grand opening, and everything out in the open. Hence, this is the reason for all the bedroom furniture. Everything can be stored wonderfully, such as fabrics and still look cute. I do tend on roughing up the yellow nightstand and possibly using it on the side of my desk, given the fact that my desk will be a door and no drawers. The green dresser will be painted a different color. I'm still deciding on this. An antique, distressed mirror of sorts will be on top. And the knobs and handles are being replaced with faux crystal one's. And the white cabinet is perfect. Nothing will be done to this. It was a match made in heaven.

I chose an adorable little decoration to pretty everything up, as well. I purchased various small jars (similar to the one's below) to put pretty candy in, strands of faux pearls and other cute things, as well as fresh flowers throughout the studio. 


So, it's coming together. I'm hoping I make the best of my time this week. I'm an aggressive person. A "go getter" type, but I am human and really need strength. So, if in your spare time, you could send a little prayer my way asking for strength, it would be very welcomed. Thanks for sharing this fun adventure with me, as I continue to keep you updated.

Charity @ Dainty Button

~ xoxo



5 comments:

  1. I wish I was there to help you so bad girl. I do love slip covers for most furniture but Those chairs are super simple and cheap to recover. I can literally give you step by step instructions via email. All you need is enough material to cover the seat plus about 2 inches to staple under and a staple gun and a drill to take the screws out so the seat comes off. You dont even have to take the old fabric off if you dont want to unless was your putting on is super thin and light..the dark might show through...
    I'm sure its probably more complicated then you would care for but you can send me work! I can cut things out, maybe something that you use regularly and mail them back to you...lol just a thought....I work for free :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been VERY busy!! I love the table you got, and I totally agree with your decision to go with a higher one. I have a niece as well and she's always drawn to pretty things that are at her eye level so it's definitely smart to keep things up out of reach. Can't wait to see pictures of the final "product"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Remember to breathe through it all :) It'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl I pray lots of strength your way the next couple weeks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see the progress you're making! I really love the table and chairs as well as the first all white cabinet above. I also LOVE the bedroom furniture idea! Remember to take deep breaths and close your eyes periodically throughout the coming week! With the wonderful helpers you've gained and the love and support of your family (and church family), I'm confident everything will be ready on time! I'll be sure to pray for you too! Keep going, you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete