Saturday, May 26, 2012

Holiday Food Recipe: Momma Doe's Hot Trash Mix

Do you have that one snack or meal as a kid that you remember? Maybe it was your favorite? Well, there's a particular snack that I remember loving when I was a kid. When living in Oklahoma, we'd visit my parent's best friends often and my aunt Doe would always have the best snacks in her kitchen. The coolest mason jars, cans and containers of candy, snacks and trail mix. The trail mix was one of my all time favorite's. It was that perfect salty, spicy mix that had all of the really good stuff in it. This was one of the highlights of our trips to their house. I've attempted to do this trail mix several times since living in California and although I've found some good recipes, nothing has compared to aunt Doe's. I decided to ask her for her recipe (I'm not sure why I didn't do that in the first place over the past few attempts). It's a holiday weekend and our church is having a picnic Monday, in which everybody is contributing something. So guess what I'm taking? Yep, you guessed it. I figured this will be a great munchie treat. She gave me permission to share her recipe and I promise, you'll love it! I hope everybody has a wonderful Memorial Day and may we remember who fights for our freedom. God bless America!




Momma Doe's Hot Trash Mix

Mix in a large stainless steel bowl that you can bake in and set aside...

5 cups of Cheerios
5 cups of stick pretzels (broken up in the bag)
16 cups of Corn Chex Cereal
3 lbs of mixed nuts

On the stove top in a saucepan, combine the following ingredients and bring to a boil point...

2 Tbsp of Tabasco Sauce
3 Tbsp granulated garlic powder
1 Tbsp of celery salt
2 Tbsp of Cayenne red pepper
2 Tbsp of Accent
1 lb of Land O'Lakes Butter
2/3 cup of vegetable oil
5 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce

Pour over the dry mix left in the stainless steel bowl. Mix very well.

Bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. 

Enjoy!!

Charity
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment