Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Catching Up With Dainty Button

Hello, hello! How is everyone? It seems like it's been a bit since I've blogged. Lots to tell you about : ) I'll try not to overwhelm, annoy or bore you with the details. I believe the last blog I left you with was our shipping turnaround transition. Wow! I cannot begin to tell you how much this has changed my life. Literally. It feels so great getting shipments out quickly, without the pressure of it weighing on you. And if you're reading this as a recipient of last week's new shipping transition launch, I hope you enjoyed getting it a bit sooner : ) I managed to leave the studio by 5 pM every evening last week. 5! This may not seem a big deal to some, but considering it was a normal occurrence to not leave before 7, even 8, at times, it was a miracle, I tell ya! I even had Saturday off! I was bored, but I'm sure very many of these free non-business days, I'll find something to do. Like, sleep? Ha! Needless, to say the shipping turnaround is a god send! Until the past few days. It's not the end of the world, but when customers start asking how to "plump" the petals up on the "It's a Wrap" Collection, if they can iron the leaves out on the headbands, etc. after receiving them in the mail, it made me start wondering why it's doing that. Well, the postal service, of course. And I was immediately taken back to a time when I first started Dainty Button and I used boxes to ship purchases in. This was good and  bad. The good part was they were really cute and very sturdy. The bad part was they're ridiculous to ship. For returning customers, some were running out of space with the boxes because they felt bad about throwing them away. It also had to do with the fact that they were not very cheap, either. Hence, the reason I began shipping in muslin bags. Well, those are very lightweight, easy to package and alot smaller. The bad thing about this is what I'm currently realizing. The items are being smashed. Some of Dainty Button pieces, such as the shoe clips, pendants, etc. are not as big of a deal. But the rest is. I don't blame customers. I wouldn't want a smashed headband when I first received it either. Of course, this can usually be fixed by plumping it back up, but it still bugs me. So, I did some serious searching all night last evening, chomping numbers, measuring boxes, the whole works. I found a great resource on shipping. In cute lil' boxes. From what I can see, there's good all around. They're very lightweight, compact, easy to package orders in, gift giving ready for those that purchase as gifts and loved the muslin bags and they are also going to save me money and time! Using boxes cuts out sewing bags, handstamping bags (as cute as they are) and it allows your purchases to arrive in a better condition. Although...I cannot control the postal service. What they do with your package after it's shipped is out of my control. But, I am taking precautions to help it arrive in a much better condition. So, what to do with the bulk order of bubble envelopes and muslin I have? Ha! Until they are gone, shoe clips, pendants and items that will not be smashed will be shipped the same way. All other items, such as the "It's a Wrap" Collection, Headbands, etc. will be shipped with our new boxes. This will be another transition, so please be patient with us and we'll hopefully get this lil' problem ironed out. Here's a lil' idea on what to expect.




Given, the boxes will not hold candles but Dainty Button : )  The great part is. Yes, they'll be packaged nice and pretty but they're a type of box that you won't feel bad throwing away. And we won't hate you for it, either. So, cheers to new shipping boxes!


Next...


Dainty Button headbands are designed with wool felt. This is something I don't keep a secret. I have used a particular kind of wool felt since the beginning of my lil' business and it just hasn't met my personal standards. Yes, it's nice, but I have always looked for "better". So, a few weeks ago I came into contact with a supplier with wool felt in Europe. There were a few reasons why I was a little leery about ordering a bulk. One, it was a bit more expensive than I have spent. Two, it's from Europe and I was thinking of the turnaround with shipping. I ended up ordering some samples and when it arrived (a bit quicker than I had thought), I was in awe. I wanted to order bulk in every color available (over 90 colors). It was beautiful! So, what's so amazing about this wool felt? Well, here's a lil' info that might be interesting to you. At least, it was to me when I researched it out and spoke personally to the supplier.


The wool felt that we have used in the past is only 10 to 30% wool (not all) and harsh chemicals are used during the manufacturing process. That's great to know, right? Ha!


The wool felt we are transitioning to is considered the "cashmere" of wool felt, made with the finest sheep's fiber. It IS NOT overly process or treated with harsh chemicals. The new wool felt that we are using meets/exceeds British Safety Standards for children's items. The British Safety Standards have been around longer than any safety standards here in the USA, and are also more strict.


I can speak firsthand, this is the softest wool felt I have ever seen or felt. And the colors, WOW! Here's some new Dainty Button pieces that have already been used with the new wool felt.



A lil' side note on this particular piece and listing. These are felt flower pendants that were some of Dainty Button's first designs. They are fabulous! I wear them all the time. They're so much fun and versatile. They come in a set of 5 and can be worn separately, together and arranged however you'd like. A favorite of mine, especially in all these darling spring colors.



This headband has a couple different options, such as a wide stretch headband, can be made with a white band and/or also as a clip/pendant combo.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/68616895/madeline?ref=v1_other_1


The colors are amazing and I'm hoping by the end of March, to offer over 90 colors. Let's cross our fingers and hope!


Next...


Shoe Clips. Such a fun accessory, aren't they? Well, they just got better. I have recently switched to different shoe clips. The actual clip, not design. The clips are even flatter and more sturdy. What's great about the new one's is if the latch comes undone, you can just pop it back on. Yay! Excited about this lil' change.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/67223586/cat-eyes


You can find a selection of my shoe clips in my etsy shop, which are all offered with the new shoe clip.


Next...


I recently did a lil' poll on our facebook wall, asking what some of you Dainty Button lovers would like to see from us in the future. I got alot of great feedback and some wonderful ideas. The main one was a different kind of band and the option of a smaller design. I'm not sure if you've noticed in the Spring Line, but I have offered a few more smaller pieces. I also, recently introduced the thin band headband. A very thin stretch headband with a Dainty Button design. Here's a peek. 






I'm working on offering a thin band on the majority of Dainty Button headbands. Be looking for this in the very near future : )


Next...


Charge it! Dainty Button now accepts credit cards. Yes, yes, yes! This is something I have been working on forever. And now, we offer it! Etsy is still the main way to purchase, but I do accept payments over the phone, via email/invoice with a credit card now. 






This brings me to the end of this blog but I saved the best for last.


If you're not on our email list, GET ON IT! You are not going to want to miss the awesome email blast going out March 1st.  Did everybody or anyone, for that matter, read one of my previous blog posts about Easter? If not, you can find it here...


http://daintybutton.blogspot.com/2011/02/easter-extravaganza.html


Dainty Button's "Easter Extravaganza" Launch is coming March 14th! There are some HUGE things coming your way from Dainty Button on this day. I recently had a creative marketing brainstorming session with my marketing/graphics guy and we're revamping alot of things at Dainty Button. You will see the first revamp on March 1st. I'm so excited about this! So, as I mentioned above, if you're not on our mailing list, GET ON IT! 


How? It's so easy. Provide your email address, by commenting on this blog, on our FB fan page or emailing us at daintybutton@yahoo.com. And you'll be added! Easy, right?


So, that's it. For now, that is : ) I am off to see the dentist for a root canal. Oh, yay! And if you're in California and will be attending our Western District Ladies Conference this week in Sacramento, come by and see us! We'll have a booth set up and we have lots of pretties for you and I've love to meet some of you wonderful ladies. 


Have a good day! Until next time!


Charity @ Dainty Button


xoxo







2 comments:

  1. Charity, Loved the blog!!! I love purchasing high quality items and gorgeous designs......from a designer and shop owner that keeps me coming back with exciting new items and concern for her clientele! Thanks so much!
    xoxo

    Bonnytwin@aol.com
    please add me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You ARE definitely amazing! What an amazing business woman you are. I applaud you for all of the wonderful changes you are making in your business! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete