Saturday, December 25, 2010

Old Fashioned Christmas Sugar Cookies

I normally hate sugar cookies. Blah! But, chocolate chip cookies? Now, we're talking. As a kid, I never liked any other cookie, except, yep, chocolate chip cookies. Actually, I didn't like many foods as a kid, but that's another blog, altogether. Until one Valentines Day. Ok, I said they're Christmas sugar cookies, but I lied. They're good all year long. My parents pastored in Oklahoma for 10 years, before moving to the west coast and it seemed like all we ever did at that church was fundraise. Those of you that are involved in church, go to church or know about the extent of fundraisers in a church, will understand and relate to this. I have to say, this church was great at fundraising! And so, this brings me back to the sugar cookies. There was a point in saying the above. Well, sorta kinda. Anyways, the sugar cookies. One Valentine's Day, our church at the time, did a "Message Heart" fundraiser with this recipe. They made giant, and when I say giant, it was like the size of a large sheet cake, heart cookies, iced with the most incredible homemade cream cheese frosting and these cute lil' messages iced on them. They were wrapped in pretty packaging and delivered to the recipient of the scrumptious, giant, heart cookie with a sweet lil' message. They were awesome! My love for sugar cookies began here. Actually, it began with the cookie dough...


Did I mention I love cookie dough? I think I like it more than the actual cookie. When I think of baking, I think of how good the dough will be, not how cute or scrumptious they'll actually turn out. And so, as a young girl in the church kitchen, helping make these cookies, I fell in love with sugar cookies. Well, the dough.


I made myself sick on this dough. Trust me, if you decide to make them, you'll do the same. I promise! 


I thought it was just the dough, but when the cookies were actually done, it was almost as good as the dough. The most incredible cookie. Soft, cakey and moist. The awesome thing about these cookies is that you can eat them iced or plain. They're good both ways. Less in calories, un-iced, but what fun is that? So, I'm sure by now you're wanting to know how to make them. At least, I would be if I was looking at these yummy, doughy pictures. I told you I like the dough. This recipe makes about 9 dozen. Yea, that's alot. They call it the Christmas Sugar Cookie recipe, because the entire batch is supposed to last you throughout the Christmas season, by freezing the dough. I've never actually done this, because 1. I either eat half the dough before it bakes or 2. Bake them for large events and use the dough (what I don't eat) at once. This is an old fashioned, from scratch recipe that a wonderful lady in the Oklahoma church handed down. I promise, these will be the best sugar cookies you ever eat! Here ya go...

The Goods:

3 cups of sugar
2 cups of shortening (don't even think about the calories)
4 eggs
2.5 teaspons of vanilla
8 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
4 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of buttermilk

How to use the good:

1. Cream sugar and shortening together.
2. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Mix the dry and cream ingredients together.
5. Slowly, alternate the buttermilk in with the two mixtures.
DO NOT MIX WITH A MIXER! Just trust me. 
6. Cover and chill.

When baking:

Bake at 375, 12-15 minutes or until the bottom is very light golden brown. Watch closely! They bake very fast.

Good tips for rolling dough, cutting out and baking:

1. Use a lot of flour when rolling out the dough. It's a mess if it's real doughy. They stick like crazy. The flour is also what makes them bake quickly, therefore it's important to keep a close eye on them, as they're baking.
2. This dough can actually be baked as a cake or if you're like me, I use the cookie cutters. I have never just plopped these cookies on a sheet, but there's always a first for everything, I suppose.
3. Enjoy!

The Yummy, Scrumptious, Sugar Coma Icing:

12 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
Powdered sugar
Mix until thick. 
Note: Use however much powdered sugar you need. It's your icing : )







I hope this recipe is just as fun and yummy for you, as it is for me! Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any weight gain.

3 comments:

  1. Your Items are all so lovely! Congrats on 1 year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these...I LOVE cream cheese and second my grandmaw loves to back it def have to make this a tradition

    ReplyDelete